Coal Tar Based Sealcoat – If you are thinking about sealing your driveway this year there are a few things you may wish to consider. Many sealcoat products used on parking lots, driveways, and playgrounds are coal tar-based, a product that has very high concentrations of compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). According to information published by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), some PAHs are toxic to mammals (including humans), birds, fish, amphibians, invertebrates, and plants.
For more information, please visit:
The Conservation@Home – This program encourages and recognizes property owners that protect and/or create yards that are nature-friendly and conserve water.
- Encourage the use of native plants in residential, school and community yards and gardens.
- Protect and restore existing high quality natural areas in private ownership.
- Promote good water resource practices through the use of rain barrels and rain gardens that reduce runoff, filter water and conserve water.
- Recognize landowners that practice good stewardship and conservation measures.
- Educate landowners about how they can improve wildlife habitat.
- Reduce invasive species.